Pages

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Belated Happy New Year!


"Study for Rainy Saratoga", 5 x 7, oil on paper

Hope everyone had a great holiday!  I'm off to a bad start with New Year's resolutions one of which was to post my paintings in a more consistent and timely manner.  I am currently working on four large (for me) cityscape/rainy scene paintings which will hopefully be ready for viewing in the next week or so.  My process has gradually shifted over the past year to a more deliberative approach which can be quite time consuming.  It is a combination of indirect and direct painting techniques involving layers of glazes, scumbles and often lots of scraping off and repainting! I now do more sketching than painting on location and use those sketches and value studies for the subsequent paintings.   Stay tuned!

No comments: