Pages

Monday, March 24, 2014

Think Green


"Spring Greens", 12 x 12, oil on panel

I don't usually post works in progress but I felt we needed a little break from the rain and snow!  This painting is based on several sketches and some photo references of one of my favorite spots in Ridgefield, CT.  It has some great trees.  This was a misty morning in late spring/early summer.  This is an example of the indirect painting process I am using in some of my landscapes now.  It has several layers of glazes, scumbles and opaque and translucent passages.  At this point it is a matter of adjusting the values of the rocks and emphasizing the misty quality of the atmosphere which I will do with more glazes and probably some opaque areas to tone down the bright green areas down a bit.  As I've said before, it is a time consuming process!

2 comments:

Bob Lafond said...

Don't too much else. Looks wonderful now.

Eden Compton Pastels and Oils said...

Thanks Bob! It's hard to know when to stop with the indirect method of painting!