Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Back in the USA


Study for Spring in Saratoga, 6 x 8, oil on panel

The Caribbean season is finally over and I am back in the US!  I am enjoying the beautiful weather here in Saratoga Springs NY and have been visiting my favorite spots in the area.  This is an area of the Saratoga Spa State Park that has geysers and beautiful meandering brooks.  The last couple of days have been great for painting outside.  This study is an example of my new approach to developing a painting.  I now spend more time on numerous pencil sketches, trying out different compositions, and then execute a quick color study to capture the basic scene in terms of color relationships.  I will use the sketches and color study to paint the larger version in the studio over the next few days.  I will try not to use any photography references but I am keeping my options open . . .  

No comments: