Pages

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Rising Mist


"Rising Mist", 8 x 10, pastel on sanded paper (currently available at Mimosa Gallery through 6/30)

The last few weeks have been spent experimenting with an indirect painting technique which is opposite of the way I usually work in oil.  It involves a lot of pre-planning and patience.  The way that Deborah Paris teaches this technique is to develop a very thorough and detailed underpainting in a transparent color and then add layers of glazes, velaturas and opaque paint passages at the end.  It takes a LONG time and it requires your concept be completely thought out prior to even starting the painting.  I need to experiment with it more as I don't feel I have anything worth posting yet.   I have come to the conclusion, however, that what I really want is for my oils to look like my pastels.  So I am going to experiment with trying to marry the indirect method with my pastel technique.  We'll see what happens.   I'll keep you posted . . .

No comments: