Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Hopper House Exhibition


"Rockland Lighthouse II", oil on panel, 6 x 6

The Hopper House in Nyack holds an annual national competition titled "Small Matters of Great Importance" which I have managed to miss every year.  This year I put the deadline down on my calendar!    Paintings are required to be smaller than 12 x 12 including frame.  This is a miniature oil version of a pastel painting I did several years ago titled "Lone Sentry" which I painted during a sailing trip to Maine.  It has always struck me as "Hopperesque."  It was interesting trying to recreate a smaller painting in oil from a larger pastel.  The biggest challenge was the composition.  I prefer the more elongated dimensions of the larger painting but I was limited here by the competition requirements (and my available frames)!

No comments: