Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Oil Painting on Paper


"Newport Field Study", 6 x 6, oil on paper

I have been looking for an inexpensive surface to use for oil sketching.  I hate to use an expensive panel or piece of linen for "doodling"!  I hit upon the perfect solution this morning.  I took a piece of heavy etching paper and coated it with three layers of gesso.  The surface is smooth but there is enough texture from the brush marks to make it interesting.   This is basically the same process that I use for my homemade sanded pastel paper but without the addition of grit or marble dust.  I like this surface a lot - the paint kind of glides on in the first layer.  The downside, though, is that works on paper always have to be framed with glass which negates the cost saving aspect of using paper instead of linen!


No comments: