Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Twilight in the Adirondacks




"Adirondack Twilight", oil on panel, 6 x 8

I hope everyone's Fall is off to a good start!  Summer certainly flew by fast but I love this time of year.  It is the perfect season for outdoor painting in my opinion.   The weather is still warm but comfortable during the day and the air is crisp - perfect!  As I've discussed in previous posts, I am trying to spend more time sketching and painting reference studies in my outdoor sessions rather than producing finished paintings.  The above color study was painted from a black and white pencil sketch done in the  Adirondacks a few weeks ago.  It captures what artists call the "magic hour" from sunset to twilight.  I have also been rising early to get some sketching done during the early dawn hours.  Luckily the sun rises later this time of year!

No comments: