Pages

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Rainy Day Grays


"Rainy Day Grays", oil on linen, 18 x 24

This is one of 4 large (for me) paintings that I have been working on over the past month or so in my studio.   I was not sure it was finished but I found myself doing lots of pointless noodling and it finally had to go - ready or not!  I am dropping this piece off at the gallery tomorrow so it had no choice but to be "finished."  The downside to working in an indirect manner is not only the amount of time it takes to complete the painting but how much that extra time creates and enables doubt and uncertainty to creep in at each stage. When painting directly, either in the studio or plein air, you have to make quick decisions and stick with it.  But, when working in layers you can glaze, scumble, have a snack, paint the whole thing over again, question the color choice, glaze, scumble, change the palette, throw your brushes, have another snack . . . well you get the picture.  I am satisifed for now.  It has a quiet kind of Hopper feel to me (though with brighter colors obviously).  Two of the other paintings were not allowed to leave the studio.  They are being punished.

No comments: