Pages

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Annapolis Rain


"Annapolis Rain", 9 x 12, oil on linen panel

I've been working on several rainy day scenes and cityscapes over the past few weeks.   I haven't been able to post anything because they have all been in different stages of development.  This process just takes a lot longer than direct alla prima painting.  I am trying to create a mood with these paintings rather than just presenting a scene.  I like all the different textures of a rainy day in the city:  reflections, wet pavement, misty atmosphere and the patina of old buildings.  It's a struggle to suggest all these different textures but that is part of the process.  So I guess these paintings are as much about the process as the actual subject matter.  Hopefully there will be a couple more paintings ready to show by the end of the week.


2 comments:

Bob Lafond said...

You've captured the mood. I agree with you that painting rainy days is tough.

Eden Compton Pastels and Oils said...

Thanks Bob! Yes, every time I look at a blank canvas I hope it will be less of a struggle . . . but I always end up in a wrestling match!